Thursday, November 30, 2017

11-30-17 Sea day:

Today was the first of our 3 sea days---2 at the beginning of the cruise and 1 later.  We started it off with breakfast in the Lido just like we did every day after today.  This was pretty much my usual breakfast.  Although later in the cruise I discovered they had hard boiled eggs so I'd have cream of wheat, a hard boiled egg and an English muffin.  I also discovered they have a guava/orange/something juice and added that to my morning beverages.
I like to participate in CruiseCritic.com for a few months before a cruise, so when someone organizes a CruiseCritic meet and greet, I try to attend.  Even Ken went this time.  I showed up a little late since I tried to compete in the ping pong tournament that was starting at the same time.  Since I couldn't concentrate on the game, I was out quickly, but had agreed to meet up with one of the gals to play later---she cancelled and we never got around to rescheduling.  Anyway, we met some interesting people at the M&G and had a fun visit there.  Even making arrangement to share a taxi with a few people at the upcoming port in St. Kitts.  (not necessarily a good idea since 4 of us sat around for an extra half hour waiting for the 5th person to show up.  Ended up being plenty of people looking to go to the same place, but we did enjoy visiting with the other couple --Marion & Armando-- several more times around the ship).  This was the set up for the M&G----cookies and drinks up in a meeting room in the Crow's Nest.
At 3:00 there was an interesting talk in the World Center: Discovering Basseterre, Castries and Bridgetown. 
The presenter was informative and interesting.  nice to have a docent again and not just a shopping ambassador.
Would love to snorkel by the Pitons some day
I didn't realize there was another pier at Castries.  We've been here a couple other times and was always on the other side of the bay.  Didn't really matter for us, though, taxis were readily available both places.
some of the info given---although I have no idea what "HOHO: no but tours at the terminal" means!
spent some time wandering around the ship after the ports talk.  Just a few random pictures here and there:
the Dutch restaurant.
one of the clever floral arrangements
the Promenade Deck.  I was trying to picture what the people in the OV rooms next level up would see.  I presume these are the obstructed view rooms.  Looks like there should be views of the ocean when you're looking straight out.
I didn't realize it at the time, but there was a Tea Dance going on in the Queen's Lounge from 3:15-3:45.  There were 2 of them during this cruise.  Once I realized what it was, I made a point of making it to the other one.  Probably the nicest "high tea" I've been to on a cruise ship.
may have to find a few pictures to add to instagram with that hashtag.
time to settle in for sunset.
looking out from my verandah
using the whole range of my lens----the reason why I complained about the extended overhang above our verandah.  Most of the time it didn't matter since this trip there were usually only clouds at the horizon at sunset, or a total overcast and no sunset.
Zooming in to get rid of the overhang
Then off to dinner----and dessert.  Back in the Lido restaurant. 
From there we usually went to the 7pm show on the World Stage.  Tonight it was Off the Charts: a review of hits from Billboard's lists from Elvis to Beyonce.  Featuring Koningsdam's Singers and Dancers.  It was very good.
We arrived late enough that we missed the part where they said no photography----oops.
Loved the ships band, too.
Ken especially liked the band leader and drummer, Chris.
Then we were off to the Lido deck to watch the movie: My Rules Don't Apply, a Drama/Comedy, 2 hours 7 minute movie about the unconventional love story of an aspiring actress, her determined driver, and their boss, eccentric billionaire Howard Hughes.
Back in our room, we found this guy taking over the bed.
Also found our saying for the day:  your journey begins with a choice to get up, step out and live fully.
flip side of above card.
I'm not usually a big fan of sea days, but I think I'm getting over that.  I'm finding lots to do.  Plus I find I enjoy sitting on our verandah reading a book.

Some of the O activities for the day:

Just Breathe--- (greet the  morning with meaningful meditation, daily intention, and experience the health benefits of movement inspired by O, the Oprah Magazine's dedication to living your best life.  Led by Sara Ivanhoe, certified yoga and meditation instructor.)

O's Reading Room Book Pickup---The Price of Illusion.  I'll admit I'm not much of a reader, but decided to check out the book and give it a go.  I did enjoy it---the memoir of Joan Juliet Buck (former Vogue Paris editor) .  Instead of turning it back in at the end of the cruise, I decided to buy it and send it to my sister for Christmas. 
Later in the day Joan Juliet Buck and O Books Editor Leigh Haber hosted a discussion.  I wish I had gone to it.  It should have been later after people had a chance to get into the book.  But then I would have missed the ports talk.  I found most of the things I wanted to do were the same time as other things I wanted to do. 

The O Shopping Grand Opening

The Supersoul 100: Dr. Shefali  (Clinical psychologist, speaker and acclaimed author, Dr. Shefali will help you let go of traditional ways of thinking to become who you really are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment